A Brief History of St. Fidelis Province, North India

The Arrival of Capuchins in India

           The Capuchin Order first arrived in India in 1632, when a group of foreign Capuchin missionaries landed in Pondicherry. Over the centuries, they extended their missionary work to Tibet, Nepal, and the Vicariates of Agra and Patna. However, the formal establishment of the Order in India began much later.

          The first attempt to establish a novitiate house in Mussoorie was made in 1880, but it closed a decade later due to insufficient vocations. It was not until February 26, 1922, that the Order took firm root in Indian soil. On that historic day, Br. Joseph Antony of Persiceto, the General Minister, personally inaugurated a novitiate at Sardhana, naming it after St. Fidelis of Sigmaringen. Two Indian novices received their habits on this momentous occasion, marking the beginning of a vibrant Capuchin presence in India.

          The Superiors Regular of Agra, Ajmer, Allahabad, and Lahore jointly supported this venture. Vocations flowed from various dioceses across northern and southern India. To address formation challenges, the novitiate was placed under the care of the Superior Regular of Ajmer. For post-novitiate formation, a study house was established at St. Francis Monastery, Mussoorie. Students were then sent to Europe for further studies with French friars in Breust, Tours, and Nantes. The first batch of 12 clerics departed for Europe on June 22, 1927.

Relocation of the Novitiate to South India

     The harsh climate and the absence of strong Christian communities in northern India necessitated the relocation of the novitiate. In May 1930, the novitiate was transferred to Monte Mariano, a small hill in Farangipet, which became the new cradle of the Capuchin Order in India.

        In 1932, a study house was established in Quilon, and students who had not completed their studies abroad were recalled to continue their formation there. The appointment of Br. Guido Le Floch as Commissary General in 1935 marked the first significant phase of growth for the Order in India.

        Between 1948 and 1954, Br. Richard Brunner from the Calvary Province, USA, served as the overall head of the Indian Capuchin Mission and was appointed Commissary Provincial in 1951. In 1954, Br. Cyril Andrade became the first Indian to lead the unit as Commissary Provincial. The Archdiocese of Agra was entrusted to the Order in 1956. Br. Cassian Timmins, a Canadian missionary from Gorakhpur, guided the Commissariat from 1957 for six years.

Establishment of an Autonomous Indian Province

         During his second term as General Minister, Br. Clement of Milwaukee visited India in 1962 and elevated the Indian unit to a full-fledged Capuchin Province. He appointed Br. Berchmans Puthuparabil as the first Provincial. The first Provincial Chapter was held in 1966, where Br. Berchmans was elected Provincial. Br. Jacob Acharuparambil served as the second and last Provincial of the unified Indian Province.

Division into Four Jurisdictions

       Following the relocation of the novitiate to Monte Mariano, the Province experienced rapid growth, eventually comprising approximately 500 friars across 40 houses in Karnataka, Goa, Maharashtra, Kerala, and Tamil Nadu, with some missionaries serving in other states and even reaching Malaysia.

     The need for smaller, more efficient jurisdictions became evident during the Provincial Chapter in 1969. The General Councillors appointed Br. Aloysius Ward to conduct a comprehensive study of the Province from November 1971 to February 1972. His visit was followed by that of the Minister General, Br. Paschal Rywalski.

      In March 1972, the General Councillors decided to divide the province into four units: the Provinces of Kerala, Karnataka-Goa-Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, and the Vice Province of Kerala. The decree was signed on May 9, 1972, and promulgated on May 17, 1972, at St. Joseph’s Friary, Kotagiri, by Br. Aloysius Ward, along with the announcement of new Provincial Superiors and their Councillors.

Foundation of the Agra-Lucknow-Ranchi Mission

     The missions in North India, originally managed by European and Canadian Provinces, gradually came under the care of indigenous friars. Until 1972, the single Indian Capuchin Province of the Immaculate Heart oversaw these missions. Following the division of the province, the mission stations in the dioceses of Agra and Lucknow were transferred to the Holy Trinity Province (Karnataka-Goa-Maharashtra), as most Capuchin friars serving there belonged to this Province. Missionary work later extended to Ranchi.

      After the extraordinary chapter of the Holy Trinity Province in 1973, Br. Vincent Lobo was sent north as Provincial Delegate in June 1973 to organise missionary activities and prepare the friars to elect their own Superior Regular. The first mission consultation, held in October 1973 in Lucknow, elected Br. John Joseph D’Almeida and Br. Arnold Rebello as Councillors, with Br. Vincent Lobo continuing as Provincial Delegate.

Mission Chapters and Leadership (1974–1980)

   October 1974: The first mission chapter at St. Fidelis Ashram, Lucknow, elected Br. John Joseph as Superior Regular, with Brs. Francis Lobo and Columban Gomes as Councillors.1977: Br. John Joseph was re-elected, with Fr. Francis Lobo and Br. Oliver Mendes as Councillors.

May 1980: Br. Francis Lobo was elected Superior Regular, with Br. John Lewis and Br. Ruben as Councillors.

Elevation to Vice Province Status

        In September 1980, Br. Paschal Rywalski, Minister General, and Br. Claude, Councillor General, conducted a visitation of the Mission. During this visit, the possibility of elevating the Mission to a Province or Vice Province—as recommended by the III PCO at Mattli—was seriously considered. The friars expressed their earnest desire to become a Vice Province under the Holy Trinity Province.

     The Provincial Chapter held at Monte de Guirim, Goa, in April 1981, unanimously supported this proposal. The Capuchin Conference of Major Superiors of South India, meeting at Kotagiri in May 1981, also gave its approval. On June 3, 1981, the General Councillors formally decided to constitute the Agra-Lucknow-Ranchi Mission into a Vice Province.

Formal Erection of St. Fidelis Vice Province

     On September 25, 1981, Br. Paschal Rywalski personally came to India to formally erect the new Vice Province. Canadian friars working in Varanasi and Italian friars from the Bologna Province in Lucknow integrated themselves into the Vice Province.

     The territory of the Vice Province comprised 12 dioceses: Agra, Lucknow, Jhansi, Allahabad, and Varanasi (Uttar Pradesh); Muzaffarpur, Ranchi, and Jamshedpur (Bihar); Ambikapur and Raigarh (Madhya Pradesh); and Rourkela and Sambalpur (Orissa).

      Br. Francis Lobo was nominated as the first Vice Provincial, with Brs. John Joseph D’Almeida, Alain Picard, Oliver Mendes, and Norbert Bucci as Councillors. St. Fidelis of Sigmaringen was chosen as the Patron of the North East Vice Province.

Elevation to Full-fledged Province Status

         Recognising the progress made between 1981 and 1996, and confident that all constitutional requirements had been met, Br. John Corriveau, the General Minister, elevated the Vice Province to a full-fledged, independent Province.

Conclusion

           The journey of St. Fidelis Province is a testament to faith, perseverance, and the dedication of countless Capuchin friars—both foreign missionaries and indigenous brothers—who labored to establish and nurture the Order in North India. From its humble beginnings in Sardhana to its current status as a thriving Province, St. Fidelis Province continues to serve the people of North India with the Franciscan spirit of simplicity, service, and solidarity.